Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fairbanks

This past (long) weekend, I had the opportunity to go to Fairbanks, AK. I have been wanting to get up to Fairbanks for some time now, just because it seems like such a unique place being so far north on the road system. Plus, one of CYAK's college ministries is in Fairbanks at UAF, and my friend Kara is serving with the ministry there. Not only that, but Ken and Sandy Moore (the pastor and his wife who were at my home church in Colorado Springs for the majority of my upbringing) live there too! Needless to say, it was about time I made my way up the Parks Highway. Fortunately,  I lucked out and hit a particularly sunny and snow-free (though slightly chilly) time to visit.  I know it won't be long before the snow and winter hits! The drive is just a little over 300 miles from Wasilla, so it is a decent distance, but on a clear day, it makes for a beautiful trip. During my stay, I was able to go to a couple Arigaa (the name of CYAK's college ministries) gatherings, see the Alaska Pipeline, go on some great runs, visit NORTH POLE (a dream come true! haha) and just spend some good quality time with my pal, Kara :) I am so thankful that I was able to come on this trip! Fairbanks is unique without a doubt, but Alaska wouldn't be the same without it!
This is where there was supposed to be a phenomenal view of Denali, the highest peak in North America at 20,320 feet. As you can see though, it wasn't exactly the clearest of days. But, I was excited nonetheless. Thank goodness for imaginations!



The weather started improving later in the trip...good thing! The sign on the bottom right is for Denali State Park.
Some of the UAF students at Arigaa on Friday night! To learn more about CYAK's Arigaa ministry, click here.

Part of the UAF Campus.





Kabladel!!!! Under part of the 800 mile Trans-Alaska Pipeline.
Santa! North Pole, AK.
On my drive back, DENALI WAS OUT! So awesome to see so bright and clear.
Check out this beast. Awesome.

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the post lauren! i always love reading about your adventures in alaska and seeing all the amazing pictures! i really hope heather and i can go visit you sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom bragged about your blog and I had to check it out. Cool pics. Love seeing people in the midst of joy! (The name says Olivia Newport. That's what I use in social media, but look at the pic and remember our softball conversation.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke: So glad you're enjoying the blog and pics. You and Heather are seriously going to have to get out here. Alaska is calling your name! And Olivia, you had me so confused until I clicked your picture :) Glad you're following along! I'll try to keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a wonderful time in Fairbanks! :) Love the the pic of you jumping in front of where Denali should be ... aaaahh to be driving by and witness that would be a spectacular sight to behold, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you and your awesome pictures and fun times!

    ReplyDelete