Friday, December 9, 2011

Volleyball Time!

Over the last few days, high school volleyball players from all over the state have flown into Anchorage for the State Mixed 6 Tournament. I had the chance to drive yesterday for a few games with a friend - and I am so glad we did. We were there to see the Unalakleet v. Marshall, Glacier View v. Noorvik, and part of the Scammon Bay v. Aniak games.

Watching the games was a blast, though my favorite part of being there was seeing so many familiar faces! Even though I haven't been to the majority of these villages, many of the players on the teams have been to Bible Camp, and so I was able to see some youth who I haven't seen since June! Plus - to make it even better - a friend from college who is now a teacher in Scammon Bay is a volleyball coach this year, and so we were able to catch up and see each other. Then you add in friends and family who came to see the games and it just felt like a great big reunion :)

Before I even moved to Alaska, people told me how tight-knit the community is, and how everyone is connected like a giant web - and I am reminded of that so often with experiences like yesterday's. I am so thankful for it! Below are a few pics from last night. There are two games left: Tomorrow at 2:15, Unalakleet plays Aniak for 3rd, and at 4:30, Noatak plays Glacier View for the championship. You can watch them online here: www.bssd.org !

Unalakleet vs. Marshall
Donald got player of the game and was interviewed! Faaaaaamous.
Scammon Bay vs. Aniak

No comments:

Post a Comment